Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Nascar Weekend

It's funny what things I've ventured into since I've been married. 

I am the oldest of three girls. Growing up in a small rural community, I was surrounded by many aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. My parents made the best with the money they had. Not poor, nor wealthy but truly content as a whole.  We never really traveled. My first airplane ride wasn't until I was 17 when I didn't travel with my family but a friend. As a family, we made yearly outings to Wisconsin Dells doing tours, riding go-Karts and enjoying our time away from  home. We didn't travel far around the Midwest. Being married just ONE year, it has been filled with some new adventures.  One that is the most recent was a weekend in Chicago surrounded by Nascar Fans. My husband is a sports fanatic like most guys in this area.   He enjoys watching almost anything related to sports including daily viewings of "Sports Center". 

Our trip to Joliet was an eye opener to me.  Nascar for most isn't the most exciting sports to watch.  On TV, watching a race is like watching a fly buzzing around your head.  You know there's a reason but ya just don't get it and you wonder when it will end.  For those who don't really get into sports you know what I mean.  Again surprised, I enjoyed myself. When going to a race, you purchase tickets for the whole weekend, watching qualifying and final races for both the Nationwide and Sprint Cup series. 
 
As you probably can tell, Shane likes Dale Earnhardt Jr. and so I guess I support him too! Sitting in the stands and experiencing a race isn't something you can explain. The noise, the smell and the overall environment makes the sport exciting.  Spending the weekend at Chicagoland Raceway was a weekend that I will never forget leaving me with a positive impression of the sport I had never watched before taking this venture.
 
Have you attended a sporting event that you were unsure about?

No comments:

Post a Comment