Monday, September 17, 2012

Homemade Granola

Lately I've been on a yogurt kick.  I could eat it with every meal. I like it plain, in smoothies, or with fruit or granola.  I've noticed the granola I've been buying has been full of sugar and extra additives.  I don't eat organic and maybe I should, but I've been trying to be smarter about what goes into my mouth. I found this recipe in the "Better Homes and Garden: New Cook Book".  It's kinda weird I say book in which I have tons of recipe books, but I normally go for online recipes. I love the idea of having reviews and alternative recipe suggestions out there. Online has been a great tool for that but I was reading through the BHG recipe book and found this.  My review: Awesome!  It has a great texture and crunch that most store bought granola has without a great deal of sugar.  Of course granola is going to have sugar but this recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of honey or maple syrup. Can't get any more natural than that. To keep it fresh, store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Or store in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. This will last me for a while.

 

Granola

2 cups regular rolled oats
1 cup coarsely chopped sliced almonds, chopped walnuts, or chopped pecans
    *I used 1/2 cup almonds, 1/2 pecans. You could add more nuts if you wanted
1/2 cup coconut (optional)
    *I used it and really can't taste it in there
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup honey or maple-flavored syrup
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup dried fruit
 
1. Grease a 15x10x1 baking pan; set aside. In a bowl combine oats, almonds, coconut (if desired), sunflower seeds, wheat germ, and flax seeds. In a bowl combine honey and oil; stir into oat mixture. Spread evenly in the prepared pan. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 30 minutes to 35 minutes or until light brown, stirring after 20 minutes. If desired, stir in dried fruit.
 
2. Spread on a large piece of foil to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Or store in freezer bags and freeze for up to 2 months.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment